Thursday, January 7, 2010

Never thread a tiny needle with big yarn

...Or try to thread a Crown Vic between a poured concrete wall and a telephone pole where the gap between them is between 6 and 12 inches less than the width of the vehicle.

Amazingly, these idiots were fairly unscathed. Their car will probably be totalled, since the engine dropped and was sitting at a weird angle.

The call came in as an entrapment, but all occupants of the vehicle were able to crawl out through the windows before any units arrived onscene. 2 of the 3 ended up on backboards and in C-collars since they had complaints, the other guy refused care.

I thought the driver's cell phone was going to have to be surgically removed, he interfered with his own care by ignoring our orders to stop making calls so we could assess him, and finished calling everyone in his phone book. The refusal guy just kept getting into the back of the ambulance and was pretty much just in the dang way the whole time. I finally made a smartassed comment to one of the engine guys and he got the guy out of my way.

As soon as I got in the cab to drive to the ER, refusal guy made some comment to me along the lines of "you gonna drive *this* truck?" I turned and looked at him and the filter between my brain and mouth failed (hey, it was 0230), "I've been driving it longer than you."

He said some other rude comment and I replied that I got paid to drive that truck, and he was quiet the rest of the ride.

At the hospital, the nursing staff commented about the hispanic gang that had arrived in the waiting room. I told them about the cell phone issues. They had their hands full trying to keep the driver in his room (and not walking around on the ankle he was supposed to have X-ray'd), and keeping the other visitors from sneaking into the rooms with the guys.




In other news, it's actually snowing! The ground here has a light dusting of snow and it's still falling. I'm so glad I'm off work for a couple of days, folks around here don't know how to drive even on dry roads.

I just hope enough falls so I can make ice cream. I have sugar, milk, and vanilla extract ready and waiting!

1 comment:

The Grumpy Dispatcher said...

At 0230, in those circumstances, you get a pass to do much worse than that. You could have offered to let Refusal just walk, too. Thanks for the chuckle.