Thursday, April 9, 2009

Too nice of a day



No calls to relay today. The weather was too beautiful when I got home from work so I cranked up my Harley and turned the wheels for a while. I didn't have anywhere to go or anyone to see either. Just me, my bike, and all the idiots in their cars.

It amazes me just how stupid people can be, you don't notice it as readily when you have 2000lbs of metal and safety systems around you either. When your safety system consists of little more than a helmet, your clothing, and your ability/awareness, you really pick up on things.

Of course, I was always taught to ride like I was invisible because nobody will see me. It's a good thing to remember too. Within the first 5 miles of riding, I had more than one vehicle do something stupid that I was able to avoid. Whether it be changing lanes too close/without looking or tailgating me, the idiots were out in force. I was able to dodge them without incident and put about 50 miles on the bike. Not as much as I'd hoped for, but it was time for rush hour and the weather is supposed to turn nasty tonight.

I hate to admit it, but I'm a bit of a fairweather rider. I don't like to ride if it's below 50 or wet out. I blame my dad for that too, since he's my usual riding partner and part of the reason I love riding. The other one at fault would be my grandad. I remember being really little and having to stay in the sidecar of his Goldwing because I was too small to ride behind him. We used to have a lot of fun cruising the mountain roads.

Anyways, I need to get together with the head of the PD's motorcycle unit someday soon. I've chatted with him many times and he extended the offer of teaching me some of the maneuvers they use. Anything to make me a better rider!

I'm not as good at it on my bike because of the work that was done to it, but I can do a pretty decent slow-ride. I'm getting more comfortable leaning deep in turns, and I've only gotten deep enough to scrape my boards twice (I caught one today making a somewhat quick turn onto the expressway). I've seen a lot of the cone courses PD has to run through, and wow, I really want to be that comfortable with riding.

--Edited to add picture of my bike

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that just sounds like and awesome day!! Enjoy!!
-Dispatcher

Unknown said...

Go for it. The motor unit would be perfect for you. This is my first visit to your blog and found it very interesting